Lady Esther Lipman Jacobs OBE

People of Adelaide


Posted on 01 Sep 2019

Suffrage anniversary lady esther lipman jacobs obe

Lady Esther Lipman Jacobs (1900-1991) was the first female Councillor elected to the City of Adelaide Council in 1956. She was appointed an Alderman in 1969 and in 1974 became the first Deputy Lord Mayor, also serving as Acting Lord Mayor during her four year term.

Lipman Jacobs was Chairman of the Parks and Gardens Committee and represented the Council on the Board of Governors of the Adelaide Festival of Arts from 1962-1972. During World War II, she served as honorary Secretary of the Fighting Forces Comforts Fund SA Inc and was Chief of the Auxiliary Women’s Police Force.

In 1990 Esther Lipman Gardens located in Red Gum Park/Karrawirra (Park 12) was named for her and in 2012 the City of Adelaide unveiled a commemorative sculpture of her in the gardens.

The Lady Esther Jacobs Room in the Adelaide Town Hall was named to honour her 22 years continuous service with the City of Adelaide.

Celebrating 125 years of women's suffrage in South Australia.

Image: City of Adelaide Archives