King of Hanover Hotel, Rundle Street, 1878


Photo taken 01 January 1878

B 10709 Samuel White Sweet, photographer At 90 Rundle Street (now Mall), this hotel had several names during its history. Established as the Boar's Head Tavern in 1846, it became the Cornish Arms in 1849 and the King of Hanover in 1853. Due to anti-German feeling during WWI, it was renamed the Commonwealth in 1915. Ceased trading in 1916. Was used by John Martin's until demolished in 1922/23. The building shown here dates from 1876. The hotel circa 1860 can be seen here: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/22742... Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.