Shakespeare Hotel, Waymouth Street, Adelaide, 1942


Photo taken 14 April 1942

B 10920 The former Shakespeare on the south-east corner of Waymouth Street and Cannon Street. Established as the Builders' Arms in 1856 and changed name in 1861 and remained so until it ceased trading as a hotel in 1921. This photograph shows the building in 1942when it was used by Glover Gibbs, pie and pasty specialists. This, 1879 building, survives and is used as backpacker accommodation. Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.