Southern Cross Hotel, King William Street, 1962


Photo taken 01 March 1962

B 70890/1 Lockley, Michael H., photographer Established at 62 King William Street in 1846 as the Greyhound Hotel. Became the Southern Cross in 1847 and rebuilt in 1879. Ceased trading in 1974. Building now part of the Southern Cross Arcade. In 1974 the license was transferred to premises at 21 James Place and was still known as the Southern Cross but now known as the James Place Hotel. Max Flannagan was the licensee from 1941 to it's closure in 1974. The photo was taken during the 1962 Adelaide Festival of Arts parade and also shows Balfours Cafe, the Devon Milk bar and the old Myer building in Rundle Steet (now Mall). And what about those shiny black taxis! The Hotel in 1913: www.flickr.com/photos/state_library_south_australia/15596... Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.