White Horse Inn, Currie Street, c1845


Photo taken 01 January 1885

B 21184 Shows the White Horse Inn south side of Currie Street, Adelaide directly opposite Peel Street. The pub opened in 1841 and Joseph Smith was the licensee from 1844 to 1868. The building was rebuilt in 1875 and demolished in 1935. it had ceased being a pub in 1921. On Saturday 7 March 1868, the South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail reported that the publican was fined: "Disorderly House. Joseph Smith, landlord of the White Horse Hotel, was charged with keeping a house where prostitutes were allowed to assemble. Fined £10 and costs, £11 7s. in all."